The Plaza de España is an architectural ensemble located in the María Luisa Park in the city of Seville (Spain), designed by the architect Aníbal González. It was built between 1914 and 1929 as the main building, and the largest in the Ibero-American Exposition.
The square is of great dimensions, it has a semi-elliptical shape, which symbolizes the embrace of Spain to its old American territories and looks towards the Guadalquivir river, as a way to continue towards America. The construction is made with exposed brick and has a wide ceramic decoration. The ceilings of the gallery of the square have coffered ceilings and this is supported by marble columns. The backs of the banks and some lampposts are made of wrought iron. The two towers that flank the square, which provide a baroque atmosphere, measure 74 meters in height, and created displeasure among academics for competing in height with the Giralda.
The Plaza de España has been used as stages in multiple and varied films. In this sense, the European Film Academy has chosen it as the Treasure of the European Cinematographic Culture, a distinction that grants spaces and film locations of a symbolic nature of great historical value for cinema.